June 13, 2011

Hunter

Our dog, Hunter, recently died.  After a few weeks of grieving, Sammi had gotten over the worst of it.  There were still times, however, when the grief would resurface.

My kids and I were watching the Disney movie, “Bolt” a couple of weeks ago.  The movie is about a dog that gets separated from his owner (a little girl).  At one point in the movie I looked over and saw that Sammi’s eyes were full of tears.

Me:  “Why are you so sad Honey?”

Sammi:  “Oh Daddy,” she sobbed as she climbed into my lap and buried her face in my chest, “This movie made me think of Hunter.  I didn’t want to cry, but the tears just jumped into my eyes.”

I looked over at Sammi’s older brothers and they both had tears in their eyes now as well, so we turned off the movie and all just held on to each other and cried.

Crying and hugs can sometimes be very powerful therapy.

   RIP Hunter   2005 - 2011

5 comments:

  1. Very touching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, it's the simplest style of writing that have the most effect.
    Sent shivers down my spine. very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss.

    (But so glad your children have such a compassionate, involved daddy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know when a kid is old enough to learn the value of a quote to get ya through but;

    "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."
    — A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

    I hope it helps. My condolences on the loss of your Hunter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...