June 21, 2011

"I gotta go!!!"

Last summer I took my kids to the local swimming pool.  My boys stayed in the far side of the pool jumping off the diving board, playing with their friends.  I was having an awesome ‘lazy day’, sitting in the sun relaxing by the shallow end while my daughter played nearby.

Out of the blue, Sammi ran up to me in a panic.
“Daddy,” she whispered urgently, “I gotta go pee!”

I sighed, turned and looked behind me at the bathrooms.  They seemed so far away and I really didn’t want to leave the comfort of my deck chair to walk all the way back there. 

Suddenly, the solution popped into my head.

I leaned forward in my chair and whispered conspiratorially to my little angel, “Why don’t you just get back in the water and pee in the pool."

A look of total disgust came across Sammi’s face.

“What!” she hollered, “You want me to PEE IN THE POOL!!!”

Suddenly, it seemed like time stopped – all eyes were on me and everyone was staring at the awful parent who had just asked his kid to pee in the pool.

“I am NOT gonna PEE IN THE POOL!!!” she bellowed at the top of her lungs.

“Wait, what?!?” I replied feebly, “Nooo… I didn’t tell you to pee in the pool.  I said that we need to get out of the pool and go to the restroom silly.”

I stood up quickly, grabbed her hand and started the ‘walk of shame’ towards the public restroom feeling the heat from all the people staring at me as I went. 

The whole way to the restroom Sammi kept talking about what I’d just asked her to do in her best ‘outdoor voice’:
Sammi:  “Why would you tell me to pee in the pool?”
Me:  “Daddy was just joking, let’s keep our voice down.”
Sammi:  “But that is sooo disgusting!”
Me:  “I know honey. Let’s turn the volume down a little now okay?”
Sammi:  “People are supposed to pee in the potty – NOT the pool daddy!”
Me:  “I get it Sweetie.  Believe me, I get it…”




16 comments:

  1. My girlfriend showed me your blog(s). We've got a little girl of our own and I like the way you write about your daughter. Now I know what to look forward to.
    Your poetry blog is pretty dope too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might start to get jealous though because she talkes about your blogs all the time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. I love when kids are "morally" embarassing... in their loudest voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog, Kids definitely say the most surprising things. At least your teaching her right from wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee, my favourite post yet. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife and I have two daughters, 9 & 7. I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now, and I've gotta say you consistently capture post after post the magic of the innocence of a young child's view of the world. I look forward to your future posts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... out of the mouths of babes... this is something my husband would advise our child to do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice. I'd have done the same thing. I have to ask, was it the pool off of Muegge? Because I think that's where we'll be spending most of our time this summer. My wife's already taken Tootie there for a few quick outings and she seems to dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Travis - No, this was at our subdivision pool, but my kids love to go to Waplehorst pool too. We go there quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting from BPOTW.
    LOL! Looks like you learned a lesson. :)

    I have two little ones myself. I am constantly learning "lessons".

    I have a handful of posts where the kids say or do things that make life more fun. If you get a chance here is one from a about a year ago: http://kippsversion.blogspot.com/2010/05/road-trip-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious! She is surely a funny and great little girl. I could definitely figure out the scene.......definitely an embarrassing one, thought many people looked at you with a weird glance but would have suggested the same to their kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROFL! Fantastic! Out of the mouths of babes. I love kids. They make us better people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahahaha I love this blog :)

    Brightened up an otherwise rather dreary afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...