July 18, 2011

Tolerance

I was watching a Talent competition on the television with Samantha and her two older brothers one night and a male contestant in drag came on wearing a sequined dress and high heals.  My son’s both started laughing and jeering saying boys shouldn’t dress like girls.  Sammi immediately silenced her brothers.

“You shouldn’t make fun of people just because they are different!” she scolded. “Maybe he just dresses like that because it makes him happy. Besides, I think his dress is beautiful.”

I gave the boys a look to reinforce what Sammi had just said.  Realizing that they were wrong, they both muttered their apologies.

Sometimes even the youngest can teach us a little about tolerance.



4 comments:

  1. From the mouths of babes and all that eh ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! She's a gem. (<-- Ooooh, I'm a poet and didn't know it. --Fortunately I'm well aware that I'm a big ol' dork ;D )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter is a genius. You've obviously raised her well. I recently started taking care of my disabled mother, and sometimes she says the most inappropriate things. It can be a battle that never ends, but I'm trying to reinforce good behavior too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...