August 26, 2011

Mr. Mom

Sammi's mom has been gone now for a while.  It has been really hard on Sammi to be without her so I've been trying to pick up the slack as much as I can and try and help make her mom's absence in Sammi's day to day activities go a little smoother.  I've learned how to braid her hair, I've made time to do arts and crafts with her after school, I lay down with her at bedtime and tell her stories, I paint her nails, etc...

Last night while getting her into her pajamas after her bath, Sammi looked up at me and gave me a huge hug.

Sammi (squeezing me tight):  "Thank you Daddy!"

Me (taken aback):  "For what?"

Sammi:  "You make a pretty good Mommy - but you are a great Daddy..."

I know that there will be times as she races towards adolescence that we will butt heads and have our little arguments and fights.  I just hope that during those times when I start to feel unappreciated, that I will remember just how wonderful and 'appreciated' she made me feel with a simple hug and a 'thank you' last night.

6 comments:

  1. I reckon your daughter sounds super sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the relationship that the two of you have. She is so lucky to have such a devoted father like you in her life, a fact that I'm sure she'll come to realise and greatly appreciate, when she's much older.:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!
    @Lily - I hope you're right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was indeed a compliment of the highest little girl order. Kudos. Sounds like the best report card ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. My dad raised me after my mother left when i was a baby. He may not have had the patience to paint my nails and was way to uncoordinated to learn to braid my hair, but he did his very best. This story reminds me of all of the special memories i have that make my daddy so important to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...