October 27, 2011

Stars (for Sammi)

I posted this poem on my other blog, but I like how it turned out so I thought I'd share it with you here as well...

“We live beneath the stars.”
Father always said.
As he kissed me goodnight
and tucked me into bed.

“They watch down over us
as we sleep and as we dream.”
“Flowing through the night sky
like water in a stream.”

“But why?” asked I.

“Can’t I reach up
into the night and feel?”
“I want to hold them in my hands
so I know that they are real.”

“I want to grab the stars and clutch
 so tightly on to them.”
“Like they were a precious rock,
or a sparkly gem…”

“Silly girl,” Father said
as he smiled down at me.
“You cannot collect the stars
like pretty shells from the sea.”

“Now hush my precious little girl,
not another peep.”
“Lay your head down and close your eyes
it is time for you to sleep.”

After Father had left
and turned off all the lights -
came a glow from under my pillow
so brilliant and so white.

A star I had grabbed earlier,
lay twinkling on my bed.
I smiled - then slept
with it tucked underneath my head.

5 comments:

  1. It is lovely poem and I am sure Sammi loved it!
    It fits so well with the little girl I think she is, reading you from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! I know this isn't my poetry blog, but I just wanted to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty incredible, and such a great gift for your daughter. She'll know she was loved.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...