February 22, 2012

Valentine

This Valentine's Day was Sammi's first without her Mom.  I wanted to make sure she didn't get sad, so I bought her a box of chocolates and took her and her brothers out to dinner.

Me (after we got home):  "Did you have a good Valentine's Day?"

Sammi:  "Oh yes!  You helped me make the coolest Valentine box for my class party and then I got a ton of cards and candy at the party. I also gave all my friends their Valentine's cards, I got to go out to eat with you and I got candy from both Grandma and you!  Best Valentine’s Day ever!"

Me:  "Would you like to call Mommy and wish her Happy Valentine's day?"

Sammi:  "Naw..."

Me:  "Are you sure?"

Sammi:  "Yep, I’m sure.  You know what?”

Me:  “What?”

Sammi:  “You're kinda like both a Mom and a Dad all rolled up into one person - like a big parent burrito.”

Me:  “A big parent burrito huh?  Cool.”

Sammi (hugging me):  “Thanks for taking such good care of me Daddy!"

Me:  "You're welcome sweetie!  Does this mean that I'm your Valentine this year?"

Sammi:  "No way!"

Me (pretending to be offended):  "So just who is your Valentine then?"

Sammi:  "Jake."

Me:  "Jake?"

Sammi:  "Yep.  He's my Poochie Jake."

Sammi's brother Connor (who had been listening):  "He's also your cousin stupid..."

Sammi:  "He's my favorite cousin and I love him!"

Connor started to say something else, but I silenced him with my best "Dad look".

Me:  "I thought Jake’s little sister was your favorite cousin."

Sammi:  "Not anymore.  She threw a rock at me once.  I love my Poochie Jake and he's my Valentine."

<Sigh>  My little girl has her first crush and actually felt comfortable enough to share it with me.  Maybe I am a 'parent burrito'.…

Sammi and the cool box we made to hold her Valentine cards.


14 comments:

  1. Your daughter is just to cute for words !
    Parent burrito? I'm not sure what a burrito is,its Mexican food right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! You are correct - a burrito is Mexican food. It is usually meat or beans, cheese and other goodness wrapped up in a tortilla. :-)

      Delete
    2. Ahhh so your all kinds of warm mushy parent goodness wrapped in a blanket!

      Delete
  2. Her first crush! And so it begins...

    And the box is excellent, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I knew the whole "first crush" thing was inevitable, but I don't like it one bit.
      I might ground her until she's 25...

      Delete
  3. Aww ... a parent burrito!

    Sammi can just be so spot on. And awfully sweet. A first crush ... gosh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PB! You're right, she is sweet, but I really don't like this 'growing up business'.

      Delete
  4. Such a gorgeous story. You must be a really great dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vee! I'm not sure how great I am - I just do my best. :)

      Delete
  5. I would probably choose parent enchilada for myself, chicken with sour cream sauce are my favorite. I have learned to order an eXtra one at the restaurant (4 total), then I can share a little with my dog when I get home, then the next morning I have leftovers with scrambled eggs that have cheese and diced deli chicken. Add tostitos chips plus salsa, quite a feast. I should blog this on my recipe blog ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... Sounds great! Could you hold the parent in mine though? I'm trying to cut down. :)

      Delete
  6. the two of you make me ill... in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  7. You surely sound like a great dad and a 'parent burrito' into the bargain. I am smiling - well done Kevin!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...