March 20, 2012

Camping


I recently took Sammi and her brothers camping. The camper that we stayed in at the lake had several beds for the kids to choose from, but invariably Sammi would wake me up every night because she was scared and crawl in my bunk and steal all my blankets.

One night I was fast asleep after a long day of hiking and fishing with the kids…

Sammi:  “Daddy!”

Me:  “…”

Sammi:  “DADDY!”

Me:  “Wha – what?”

Sammi:  “Are you awake?”

Me:  “I am now.  What’s wrong?”

Sammi:  “I’m scared.  I heard a noise.”

Me:  “What kind of noise?”

Sammi:  “It sounded like wind, but it might’ve been a bear.”

Me:  “It was probably just the wind Honey, now go back to bed.”

Sammi:  “What if a bear was making wind-noises to trick us?”

Me:  “Bears don’t do that.  It was the wind Samantha.”

Sammi:  “Can I sleep with you anyway?”

Me:  “Okay, but just don’t take all the covers.”

Sammi (climbing in):  “I won’t unless I get cold.”

Me:  “Just go to sleep.  Daddy’s tired.”

Sammi:  “Okay.”

After about 5 minutes I had drifted back to sleep.

Sammi:  “Daddy!”

Me:  “…”

Sammi:  “DADDY!”

Me:  “W-what?!?”

Sammi:  “Are you awake?”

Me (sighing):  “I guess I am.  What do you want?”

Sammi:  “I want you to tell me when you’re asleep so I don’t get scared.”

Me:  “Why would you be scared when I’m asleep?”

Sammi:  “Your breathing sounds like a bear.  I want you to tell me when you’re asleep so I know you’re not a bear.”

Me:  “I can’t tell you when I’m asleep – because I’ll BE ASLEEP!”

Sammi:  “Oh – just tell me when you’re almost asleep then.”

Me:  “Okay – Samantha, I’m almost asleep.  Now close your eyes - please.’

Sammi:  “Okay Daddy.”

After another few minutes, I returned to slumberland…

Sammi:  “Daddy!”

Me:  “…”

Sammi:  “DADDY!”

Me:  “Oh my god!  What is it now Samantha?”

Sammi:  “Are you awake?”

Me:  “Yes.  Unfortunately, I am now awake - again. What is it this time?  Did you hear another bear?”

Sammi:  “You heard it too???”

Me:  “Sweetie, there are no bears around here and even if there were, we are safe in a camper.  Okay?”

Sammi:  “Okay – I guess…”

Me:  “Daddy would never let a stupid old bear hurt you.”

Sammi (seemingly more relaxed):  “Okay Daddy.  Thanks!”

Me:  “You’re welcome, now go to sleep.”

Sammi rolled over taking all the blankets with her and finally went to sleep.

Sammi Camping

12 comments:

  1. "Your breathing sounds like a bear." I love it. Good God, my breathing probably sounds like a t-rex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I sounded like a bear when I was asleep.
      I do kind of act like one when woken up out of a nice peaceful sleep however... :)

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! Brilliant dialogue but poor Sammi.

    And a big WELCOME BACK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily! It's good to be back. We all survived without any bear attacks.

      Delete
    2. "chuckles" Tell me when you're asleep so I know you're not a bear, I love the things kids say!

      Delete
  3. Too funny.

    I remember my sister waking me up screaming because she thought my Dads snoring meant there was a bear in out house.

    We lived in the middle of a city, in the south of the UK where THERE ARE NO BEARS. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is right to be frightened. Wind bears can strike at any time, anywhere. They are carried on the breeze, so are unpredictable in their attack patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Sammi doesn't read the comments here, because if she read about 'wind bears', she'd be climbing in with me and taking my blankets every night. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Indra! I agree, she really does say some cute stuff. I was thinking about writing all the stuff she says down and starting a blog... Oh, wait a minute... Nevermind. :)

      Delete
  6. Bears in the wild can be such a problem, I know this because once in western Finland our daughter came running back from the lake shore scared as she had heard a bear along the lakeside. We of course investigated and relief all round as it was a fisherman's reel where the line was running through. Sammi had every reason to wake you but once or even twice but not quite so many times. I wish you good sleep from now on whatever you sound like!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...