March 5, 2012

Crystal Clear

I was getting ready to leave Sammi with her big brother while I went grocery shopping and I was going over what I expected of her while I was gone.

Me:  "Okay.  While I'm at the store you need to clean up your room and then you can watch cartoons until I get back.  Listen to your brother and NO fighting."

Sammi (barely looking up from the TV):  "Sure..."

Me:  "What did I just say?"

Sammi:  "Don't fight and watch cartoons."

Me:  "Not exactly.  Look at me for a second.  Clean up your room first and then you can watch cartoons until I get back. You also need to listen to your brother.  Is that clear?"

Sammi:  "Sure, whatever..."

Me:  "Samantha, am I crystal clear?"

Sammi:  "Nope."

Me:  "What?"

Sammi:  "No - you are definitely NOT crystal clear."

Me:  "What didn't you understand about what I just told you?"

Sammi:  "I understood everything you told me.  You also asked me if you were 'crystal clear' and you're not."

Me:  "What?"

Sammi rolled her eyes at the confused look on my face, took off her glasses and handed them to me.  The lenses were all smudged and dirty.

I sighed at my smart-aleck daughter, cleaned her lenses and then handed the glasses back to her.

Sammi (putting her glasses on and smiling sarcastically):  "Now you are crystal clear Daddy!"



9 comments:

  1. Excellent! She really makes me laugh.....she has a fabulous humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MarieHarmony! She really makes me laugh too.

      Delete
  2. I think she's going to give you a run for your money in a few years. Enjoy this moment of fun and relative peace while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen! I agree - she's going to go from "cute 6 year-old sarcasm" to full blown "teenage sarcasm" in a few years...

      Delete
  3. I've said it once and I'll say it again, cannot wait to hear what teenage Sammi will have to say...though I'm sure you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I think that the "smart-assedness" will only grow as she gets older... :)

      Delete
  4. It's been official all along, Sammi's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...