August 10, 2012

We Are Young

The other day I was driving Sammi to school.  It was the first day of 2nd grade and she was very excited.  She was wearing her new school clothes and her new backpack and she was holding (of course) her stuffed pink monkey.

We were listening to the radio and the song "We Are Young" by Fun came on.  We both started loudly singing along - especially during the chorus.

Me (singing):  "We are young! So let's set the world on fire we can grow brighter..."

Sammi (who had stopped singing):  "Uh, Dad?"

Me (oblivious):  "...than the su-unn!"

Sammi:  "DADDY!"

Me (turning the radio down):  "What is it Honey?"

Sammi:  "You really shouldn't be singing this song."

Me:  "Why?  Is my singing that bad?"

Sammi:  "Nooo...  Your voice isn't too terrible."

Me:  "What is it then?"

Sammi:  "Well, me and Pink Monkey can sing it, 'cause we ARE young.  But you're way too old, so you shouldn't sing it."

Me:  "So I can't sing that song because I'm too old?"

Sammi:  "Maybe if there was a song called 'We Are Old' - then you could sing that one..."

Me  (pretending to be upset):  "Ouch!  I guess I really don't beat you enough do I?"

Sammi (grabbing her school bag and getting out of the car):  "Silly Daddy.  You know you're not tough enough to beat me."

I gave her a kiss and told her to have a great first day of school.  She started to walk away - stopped - turned around and ran back to me, jumping into my arms.

Sammi (hugging me tightly and whispering into my ear):  "I love you Daddy.  I was just kidding - you can sing that song if you want."

Me:  "Wow thanks Sweetie - but I knew you were just kidding."

Sammi started walking back towards the school when she turned around one last time.

Sammi (smiling):  "You are still pretty old though."
















Thanks to the dudes over at Dude Write this week who saw fit to award me these "Man Cards" for this post.  Check out their blog where you can find some excellent posts by other "dude-bloggers".


25 comments:

  1. You have a great relationship with Sammi it's enviable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The best thing I ever did in my life was becoming a dad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. 3 smiley faces from the six-fingered monkey = awesome!

      Delete
    2. That's like five stars - don't you forget it!

      Delete
  4. A touching post. Interesting how our kids keep us young but also make us feel old at times. Glad you're at Dude Write. It's a great site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen! Sometimes they keep us young and make us feel old at the same time... :)

      Delete
  5. I have a 3yo nephew who sings this song. He mumbles to all the lyrics he doesn't understand, then it's chorus time:

    "Fuh-meeehhhhh.... WE... ARE... YOOOOOOOOOUNNNNGG..." with breaths between every shout. It's adorable.

    And I'm in love with your daughter now. Such wit, and in such an adorable way. I have two boys; one starts 1st grade next week, and now I want a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandon! Daughters are pretty cool - but so are sons.

      Delete
  6. My nephew once told me I was old. He thought I was 12. When I told him I was 25, he looked at me like he'd discovered a wizened old hermit fossilised in an ancient cavern. He tried to present me to the junior scientific community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my 8 year old. Of course, I am old AND bald AND I sing badly. Just ask her.

    WG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always tell the truth - whether we want to hear it or not...

      Delete
  8. Gosh, kids. Your daughter is so sweet, though, trying to make you feel better :)

    When I was 32, a teenaged girl asked me how old I was. I told her and she said, "wow, you've aged really well." Fortunately it just made me laugh and not sad :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out of the mouth of babes...my daughter once told me, "Mom, you don't need to be on a diet cause you're not fat, you're just jiggly." Thanks honey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never stop singing in the car with your kids.........or pass up the chance to embarrass them in public with your old age antics. (that part comes later) Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ! Could you please help me by explaining me how you did your image with the "WE ARE YOUNG" text in 3D please ?
    Thank you very much :)
    This is an interesting and original blog !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...