September 13, 2012

School Lunch


I recently had a lunch date with Sammi at her school. I sat with her class in the school cafeteria.  As soon as I sat down, I was immediately surrounded by millions of 2nd graders all talking to me a mile a minute:

"I love all those pictures you draw on Sammi's lunch bags every day. Can you draw a picture of SpongeBob for me?"

"You look old. What are you - 100?"

"You look like a teacher, but you're really silly."

"Do you think you could beat up a tiger?"

"Put your veggie-straws in your nose so you'll look like you have tusks."

My responses to the kids (in order):

"Sure."

"Watch it kid!"

"I know you are, but what am I?"

"Of course. Duh."

"Okay, but I won't eat them afterwards."

Sammi stayed pretty quiet during lunch; she just sat there eating her lunch, watching my shenanigans - smiling.

When it came time for all the kids to clean up and get ready to go outside for recess, Sammi hugged me really tight and said, "Thank you Daddy!"

Me:  "For what?  Eating lunch and acting silly?  I do that every day."

Sammi:  "No.  Thank you for being the most awesome daddy ever.  If you were a kid, you'd be the coolest kid in school."

Me (putting both thumbs up):  "I'm the coolest kid in school!  I'm cool like Fonzie!  Aaayyy!"

Sammi (rolling her eyes at me and smiling):  "Don't ruin it old man."


This blog is Fonzie Approved.





6 comments:

  1. Wait, you're popular? Can I be your sidekick? I'll stand behind you and the other kids won't pick on me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be the Chachi to my Fonz. We'll rule that school! I think my continued use of Happy Days references automatically negates any coolness that I may have had...

      Delete
  2. Fun and touching post. But it's hard to remember the time when Arthur Fonzarelli was considered cool. I look at pictures of him from back then and think--what a dweeb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have the greatest dad daughter relationship ever and to be so COOL in the eyes of the young has got to be the greatest accolade. Rock on dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to be so close to sammy, enjoy every minute :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...