October 26, 2012

Halloween

The closer it gets to Halloween, the more excited Sammi gets.  She loves Halloween.  About a week ago, I was sitting on the couch working on my laptop when Sammi came into the room and plopped down beside me.

Sammi:  "Hey Daddy, why didn't the skeleton cross the road?"

Me (looking up):  "Uh what?"

Sammi (sighing):  "Why didn't the skeleton cross the road???"

Me:  "Why?"

Sammi (cracking up):  "Because he didn't have the guts!  Get it?  Skeletons don't have guts - they are just bones!"

Me:  "Good one!"

I went back to working with Sammi sitting quietly next to me for a few minutes.

Sammi (breaking the silence):  "Hey Dad?"

Me:  "What is it Honey?"

Sammi:  "Why doesn't Dracula have any friends?"

Me:  "Hmmm...  I'm not sure.  Why?"

Sammi:  "Because he's such a pain in the neck!  Get it? He bites people in the neck!"

Me (setting the laptop aside):  "Awesome!  Tell me some more."

Sammi:  "Okay.  What is a ghost's favorite fruit?"

Me:  "I know - booberries!"

Sammi:  "Nope.  Boo-nanas!"

Me (laughing):  "Great jokes Sweetie, but why all the scary monster jokes? "

Sammi:  "Because there is a very special holiday coming up."

Me:  "We tell monster jokes at Thanksgiving?"

Sammi:  "No silly!  My favorite holiday."

Me:  "Christmas?"

Sammi (punching me in the arm):  "No!  The holiday where we get lots of candy and there are scary things everywhere."

Me:  "Ohhh...  Valentine's Day.  Why didn't you just say so?"

Sammi (rolling over giggling):  "No Daddy - HALLOWEEN is coming up!"

Me:  "Oh yeah, Halloween.  So what are you going to dress up as this year?"

Sammi:  "I'm not sure, probably something very scary."

Me:  "What about a princess?" (knowing full well that she would never go as a princess) "Princesses are scary."

Sammi:  "A princess?!?  No way!  Lots of girls go as princesses while the boys get to be cool stuff!"

Me:  "So what are you going to be then?"

Sammi:  "Well, I was going to be a ninja with a cool sword or a scary pirate, but remember when I was an alien last year?"

Me:  "Yeah."

Sammi:  "Well, everybody thought I was a boy.  If I go as a pirate or a ninja this year, people might think I'm a boy again.  I guess I will go as a witch. That way people will know that I'm a girl, but I will still scare them."

Me:  "Good idea."

Sammi (cutting me off):  "...or maybe I'll go as you first thing in the morning - that's pretty scary."

My little monster getting ready for Halloween!


4 comments:

  1. You need to post a picture of yourself in the morning so wee can see what's so scary. On second thought...never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me in the picture above with Sammi with my tongue hanging out. I don't look so bad...

      Delete
  2. Funny post. You and your daughter seem to have a great relationship. The picture made me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thy were all old jokes, but then the last line was a beaut!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...