October 12, 2012

Stars (Revisited)

In honor of my daughter's 8th birthday, I'm reposting a poem I wrote for her last year.


Stars (for Sammi)

“We live beneath the stars.”
Father always said.
As he kissed me goodnight
and tucked me into bed.

“They watch down over us
as we sleep and as we dream.”
“Flowing through the night sky
like water in a stream.”

“But why?” asked I.

“Can’t I reach up
into the night and feel?”
“I want to hold them in my hands
so I know that they are real.”

“I want to grab the stars and clutch
 so tightly on to them.”
“Like they were a precious rock,
or a sparkly gem…”

“Silly girl,” Father said
as he smiled down at me.
“You cannot collect the stars
like pretty shells from the sea.”

“Now hush my precious little girl,
not another peep.”
“Lay your head down and close your eyes
it is time for you to sleep.”

After Father had left
and turned off all the lights - 
came a glow from under my pillow
so brilliant and so white.

A star I had grabbed earlier,
lay twinkling on my bed.
I smiled - then slept
with it tucked underneath my head.



Happy birthday Sammi!
















Original post:  http://stuffsammisays.blogspot.com/2011/10/stars-for-sammi.html

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Sammi :)
    have a lovely day love from Kiki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. You could write kids books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem and Happy Birthday, Sammi. Keep saying cool things that make your dad look good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...